How to get $8k tax credit asap

This year, most closings are first-time buyers. They are eager to get the $8000.00 tax credit for first-timers. This is a pretty simple process.

To get the $8000.00 tax credit you can either amend your 2008 tax return or wait to file your 2009 tax return. Since most first-buyers were picked clean of available cash at closing,  they amend their 2008 tax return to get the refund right away.

To amend your 2008 tax return, you will need:

1. A copy of your 2008 tax return;
2. Form 1040x, which is the amendment form;
3. Form 5405, the form that indicates that you are a first-time buyer who has joined the land-owning gentry.

If you type “1040x” or “form 5405” into google the forms pop right up. In the attached, I show how to fill out the form. This assumes that the client is single and the adjusted gross income is under $75,000.00.

The refund takes about 6 to 8 weeks to process.



Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • email
  • Netvibes
  • Posterous

Related posts:

  1. FHA buyers can get downpayment from IL
  2. FHA lenders now allowed to make loans for $8k tax credit
  3. First-time buyer tax credit questions answered
  4. Cook Co. Homeowner's & Senior exemption forms are here
  5. Savings Bonds in Living Trust