Twice in the last few months, I’ve run across an amazing program that makes monthly payments to veterans who are disabled or having trouble living on their own. The name of the program is the VA Aid and Attendance Program.
Here’s what it does:
- Pays $1744 per month to a veteran or $945 to a surviving spouse of a veteran to assist in bathing, meals, medication monitoring and other activities of daily living.
- Applies to individuals who live in assisted living, at home, skilled nursing facilities or in-home care
What it takes to qualify
- Must qualify medically and financially
- Assets can’t exceed $80,000 (home, vehicle, annuities, pre-paid funeral and other things are not included in this number)
- Takes 3-6 months to get approval.
- Pays retroactively to date of application.
- Applies to any veteran with 90 days of service
Here is how to apply.